Joint BA or BS and MA in Anthropology
Undergraduate majors in anthropology may be eligible to apply for the MA in Anthropology at Tulane in addition to their BA or BS. The joint BA or BS and MA in Anthropology is a program that is separate from the departmental doctoral program.
This joint program has the following requirements and conditions:
- the applicant must be an anthropology major;
- the applicant will have to apply for admission for a fifth year of course work in anthropology no later than the spring semester of the student's junior year;
- in accordance with Graduate School regulations, the applicant would need to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be considered for acceptance;
- the faculty of the department will determine the number of students to be admitted to this program each year, based on overall GPA, performance in the major, and the faculty's evaluation of each applicant's potential;
- upon acceptance into the program, the student will be assigned a faculty advisor whose expertise coincides with the student's interests;
- the student will be required to complete all of the normal major requirements for the BA or BS degree in Anthropology;
- the student will be required to take 126 credit hours at the undergraduate level, including two graduate level anthropology courses beyond those required for the major;
- twenty-four (24) additional credit hours will be required at the graduate level in the fifth year for a non-thesis MA; students who choose the thesis option will be required to take eighteen (18) credits (six courses) at the graduate level in the fifth year, 9 credits (three courses) in the first semester and 9 credits (three courses) in the second semester. In both cases, the student must take at least two 7000-level courses during the fifth year;
- the student will have to satisfy a graduate foreign language requirement and a statistics requirement for the MA (described in the "green sheet" for graduate students);
- students who are accepted into this program will not be in the doctoral program of the Department of Anthropology, and students who subsequently wish to pursue the Ph.D. in Anthropology at Tulane will have to apply separately to the departmental Ph.D. program.
- An application to the MA program with thesis must be accompanied by a letter from a faculty member, agreeing to serve as the advisor for the thesis.
- The graduate year of this MA program requires full-time registration (at least three courses each semester).
For further information about this joint BA or BS and MA in Anthropology, please consult with the departmental chair.